The time has come for my 4th 10 Facts About Harry Potter! I hope you enjoy reading these just as much as I enjoy uncovering new facts! I may have possibly gone slightly over 10 facts this time…:)
Click here to read my other 10 Facts. Enjoy!!
- Voldemort’s wand was made of yew wood. Yew is often used as a symbol of immortality and bad omens, as this wood is often found in graveyards. This is pretty cool, seeing as Voldemort has desired immortality throughout the series, and you definitely can’t argue that he brings bad omens and death with him!
- Harry’s wand was made of holly. Through mythology, holly symbolised forces against evil – which of course perfectly describes Harry.
- The Sorting Hat thought Professor McGonagall should be in Ravenclaw, because of her wit and brains – but ultimately, of course, she was placed in Gryffindor. The same happened with Peter Pettigrew – the hat sensed betrayal in him, Pettigrew may have been sorted into Slytherin, if the hat didn’t finally decide on Gryffindor.
- Neville actually asked to be in Hufflepuff – as he didn’t think he was brave or courageous. The Sorting Hat believed in Neville before anyone else did, before even Neville believed in himself.
- In the epilogue of the Deathly Hallows, JK nearly made Dudley have a muggleborn magical child. She discarded the idea, though.
- The driver and conductor of the Knight Bus, Ernie and Stan, were both based on J.K Rowling’s grandfathers.
- Kingsley Shacklebolt became the Minister of Magic after the Battle of Hogwarts.
- Herpo Fowl was the first person to create a horcrux and the first person to ever breed a Basilisk.
- (This one surprised me alot..) Platform 9 ¾ wasn’t the only platform that witches and wizards used. They had several other platforms in lots of different stations as well, such as Platform 7 ½, which takes witches and wizards to small villages in Europe.
- The last word of the series was initially intended to be “scar”, but, of course she wrote, “All was well”.